So, here we are at A&W. There is something about A&W - I won't eat hambugers anywhere else (except a small town skating rink) but I love A&W Teenburgers. So now and then we go there for a quick lunch when we're on the road - and it never fails that SOMEONE has to gawk at our table like there is something weird about us being out with three little girls. "Oh, what a nice little family! Three little girls! So much fun..." Yes. Complete strangers are so struck by this scene that they feel they must come over and comment. EVERY. TIME. Its like we're a basket of puppies or something.
On this particular day a woman stared at us for so long I was feeling uncomfortable, like maybe she knew me or something. Finally she saw me catching her staring at us, and she started rambling about how her dad had three daughters, too, and she was the youngest.... WHAT IS IT ABOUT A&W that compels people to share these things?? The nostalgia? Old fashioned burger restaurant atmosphere and vintage photos everywhere of perfect 50s families out for burgers, something about a dad and three daughters just strikes a chord? OR, perhaps it is that the food is so good that my children are quiet and well-behaved, and people can't help but notice? Whatever it is, I can pretend to be annoyed at people butting into our business and disturbing our meal to tell us how cute we all are - but you know, I don't mind at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment